Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Impossible is Nothing

Wow, been awhile since the last blog. I've had 10 days off of work, and it's been wonderful to see family, friends, and rest. It's nice to just stop and enjoy life, and it's so important to my spirit. I need time to stop, think, breathe, experience new places and people.

My prayers were answered last week! I had an interview on the solid tumor oncology unit, and it went wonderfully. The nurse manager and I got along beautifully, the unit felt right, it was calm, peaceful, filled with nurses who love coming to work everyday. I was offered the job and immediately accepted, no questions asked. I have never been more excited! Tomorrow I return from my break to the med/surg unit and will tell my current manager that I'm transfering, then I'll be up on the oncology floor hopefully by the end of October!

I will miss the nurses I work with, but I am so ready to move on, to learn more, to grow, and have new experiences with new people. I know that I will love it. Already I love it, my heart and head are already there. Cancer is probably the most devastating disease to have, the treatments are worse, and there are so many different types to be afraid of. You can be carrying out your life one day, then the next you're diagnosed with cancer, and don't know what the future holds. I cannot wait to be the person there for the family and patient who are having a difficult time, that is what I live for. I want to be their comfort, ears, knowledge, confidence.

The nurses are all very involved in fundraisers, walks, rides for cancer research funds, and I am looking forward to becoming involved in making a bigger difference. They do pet therapy twice a week with a golden retriever and a little beagle, which is amazing. I have decided to enroll my lab in a program to get him certified to become a pet therapy dog, he would be wonderful, and bring such joy to people in one of their darkest and most difficult times.

Getting this job has strengthened my belief that anything is achievable if we are patient, work as hard as we can to make our dreams come true, and ask for help along the way. This past weekend my fiance and I did a 76 mile charity bike ride benefitting Easter Seals of NC, a group who assists people with CP. It was an event and experience I will never forget, and I will always cherist. One of my favorite quotes from the weekend was this said by Christopher Reeve, "So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING.

No comments:

Post a Comment