Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Definition of Compassion

According to http://www.dictionary.com, the definition of compassion is "a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering." Tears welled up in my eyes as I read the words, because, this is also the definition of a what makes a good nurse.
Two weeks ago, one week into my night shift rotation on the cancer unit, one of our patients died. He had been diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma only months earlier, the the cancer had taken over his organs, and there was no hope of recovery. He was thirty six years old, had a fourteen year old daughter, had a wife, had aunts, uncles, cousins, and a mom and dad who would have given their own lives had it been possible. Knowing a loved one is going to die soon does not alleviate any of the pain, lessen the grieving when the time comes.
At 0200 (that's 2 am for you non-medical people) as I was sitting at the nursing station twenty rooms down the hall I heard crying, screaming, shouting, waling. We all knew it had happened, he was gone. His suffering was finally over and he was free of pain, but his family was left behind to feel the loss. We all gathered with the family over the next few hours to watch over them, to comfort, to just be there. His little girl had to physically be carried out of the room in the arms of her grandma and the chaplain because she has passed out from grief. I was but a bystander, but I began to feel as if I had lost someone I loved. All the feelings came back that I experienced when I thought I had lost my dad. I couldn't catch my breath, I cried, and I had to remove myself from the situation until I was ready to be helpful.
I realized then how difficult this job will often be, and I know days will come that I will cry with patients and their families, but I have the privilege of being there, of sharing in one of life's greatest and most heartbreaking mysteries. Death is not ever easy, no matter the diagnosis, and despite whether it is expected or not.
After the family left our floor I text messaged my fiance and told him how much I loved him, how thankful I was for his life, his health. Being a nurse offers a unique perspective of death and mortality. Many people feel they are invincible, until they are not. People think cancer, car wrecks, shootings, disease happen to other people. I live everyday with the knowledge that I may not return home, I may be diagnosed with terminal illness in five years, this may happen to a loved one. I am by no means a pessimist, and I do not let this insight affect my life negatively. Instead, I use it for good by making every moment count, enjoying the sunshine, being happy everyday for new reasons, making sure those around me feel and know how much I love them, and not waiting to have new experiences. I want to travel while I can, not plan on living to retire and then travel, I want to live life to the fullest, and I plan on doing so, God willing.
Life is hard, it is not for the weak of mind or heart, but when one of us is weak, it is the job of others to be their strength, and help them get themselves back. As a nurse, I feel I do this every moment I am with a patient. I love my job.

1 comment:

  1. Not sure who posted that comment, but obviously they are a bored idiot, so just ignore it:) SJ

    ReplyDelete